Magic mushrooms microdosing
How to prepare mushrooms for microdosing?
You can check details on the mushrooms preparation for storage and consumption in the How to dry and store psilocybe mushrooms section.
Mushrooms should be dried thoroughly until they crisp like chips. You can dry mushrooms at room temperature or in a sieve under a fan. This natural drying process will take about 2 days. If the mushrooms remain soft during such drying process then you can dry them with food grade silica gel.
Also, you can use an electric fruit/vegetable dryer (dehydrator) at low power (temperature up to 40°C). Or use an oven (temperature up to 40°C). Or simply wrap the mushrooms in parchment paper and place them on a warm radiator for 1-2 days.
If the mushrooms are not dry enough, then you will not be able to grind them evenly in a coffee grinder to prepare micro doses.
You can store dried mushrooms in zip-bags, vacuum bags or in glass jars with tightly closed lids. For convenience, I recommend dividing all mushrooms into 5-10 g portions.
Store in a cool and dark place or in a refrigerator. When stored properly, mushrooms fully retain their properties for up to 2 years. After 2 years, they are okay as well, just loose psychoactive potency over the years.
How to prepare microdose with psilocybin mushrooms?
For convenience, you can prepare Capsules for microdosing.
If you don't like mushrooms taste you can make Magic Mushroom Chocolates. However, there is also a minus in mushroom chocolate: it does not allow you to measure the required microdose in a particular candy accurately, because the chocolate is not uniform. This method is quite okay for preparing a full trip dose.
Psilocybin Mushroom Microdose Schedule
Microdose should be taken 1 time in 3 days, i.e. take a microdose 1 day and skip 2 days.
Microdosing course duration from 3 to 6 months (due to individual choice and individual feelings). You should take a 1-3 month break after the course.
Do NOT take microdoses daily and do not increase your microdose! It won't be a microdose, it will be a stimulation. As a consequence, a decrease in energy, concentration, and cognitive abilities is possible.
Some adjustments can be made to the microdose schedule, e.g. every other day or every 4-5 days. Adjustment can be due to the physical and psychological condition of the patient.
Take mushrooms only in the morning, because they activate the cerebral cortex. Evening intake may cause problems with sleep.
Eating (breakfast) not earlier than 1-2 hours after taking the microdose.
How to determine your psilocybin microdose?
A microdose is the maximum dose of psilocybin mushrooms, when taken without any change in consciousness or perception (including visual, sound, taste, smell, or tactile sensations).
Individual microdose depends on many factors: your tolerance to psilocybin, metabolism, hormonal background, the variety of mushrooms and their storage time. But it does not depend on your body weight.
Before the course, you should calibrate your individual mushroom dose.
To do this, grind in a coffee grinder a small portion (about 3-5 or 10 grams) of dried psilocybin mushrooms. Use medical or jewelry scales for it.
In the morning on an empty stomach, take 0.3g of mushroom powder with water. A clean gastrointestinal tract will allow you to immediately calibrate the necessary dose and determine tolerance.
How to determine the ideal microdose? It should not cause any changes in perception and consciousness.
Downward scheme: 0.3 > 0.25 > 0.2 > 0.15 > 0.1
If you feel any side effects (dizziness, sleepiness, nausea, visual effects, fractals, color spots, amplification of sounds, changes in tactile sensations), then at each subsequent intake reduce the portion with 0.05g step until these effects disappear.
For example, if at 0.3g you have any unusual sensations, decrease the next microdose and take 0.25g two days after the first dose.
If at 0.25g you have also mushroom effects, decrease the microdose to 0.2g.
Decrease the dose until the effects or side effects are gone at all.
Increase scheme: 0.3 > 0.35 > 0.4 > 0.45 > 0.5 > 0.55
If you don't feel any changes with 0.3g, you can go with the microdose increase scheme. Increase by 0.05 g until you feel any effects. As soon as you feel changes in sensation, then the microdose should be lowered by 0.05 g. When increasing the microdose stop at the dosage which there is no change in sensation.
So, a microdose can be 0.1 g and sometimes as high as 0.8 g.
The microdose which does not cause any change in consciousness or perception at all, is considered an individual dose for you and it does not change until the end of the course. This dosage is calibrated only for this portion of mushrooms (this bag, this strain, this species).
For your next bag of mushrooms, new crop and new strain of mushrooms, you will have to calibrate your microdose again. Because the psilocybin content will vary.
From 1 g to 5.5 g (3g on average) of dried mushrooms will be enough for 1 month of microdosing cource.
- Grinding the mushrooms in a coffee grinder gives a homogeneous mass and allows you to average the content of psilocybin in the total mass of mushrooms. Because each single mushroom, mushroom stem or cap can contain a different concentration of psilocybin. By taking stem, or cap, or abortion, or small whole mushroom you will take a different dose of psilocybin all the time. Grinded mushrooms have more stable psilocybin concentration and you can calibrate precisely your mushroom dosage for system microdosing course.
- The most convenient way to take it is to prepare Capsules with psilocybin mushrooms for microdosing.
- It is better to intake the first microdose on a day off, so that you can track your sensations. In case you need to go to the toilet or have "entry syndrome", you can not hurry anywhere, be alone with yourself and take time for yourself and your sensations.
- On the day of taking the first microdose don't drive a car.
- Keep a microdosing diary where you can make notes about all your sensations (physical and psycho-emotional) and note any changes in the quality of your life on a daily basis (mood, activity, emotions, etc.)
Positive effects of microdosing
- Empathy for the people and nature around. The person becomes more social, open, easier to make contact and communicate with people.
- Reduction of aggression, irritability, fears, obsessions. Release from feelings of anxiety, danger, inevitability, guilt.
- Person begins to notice the beauty around yourself.
- Increased productivity of the brain, creativity and design thinking.
- Energy effect, improved mood and vitality that lasts 6-10 hours after intake. Followed by a pleasant relaxation is felt in the muscles and brain (but not drowsiness).
- Increased balance, strength, focus when doing sports.
- Giving up bad habits (alcohol particularly). People note that they begin to see the absurdity in their addictions and give them up easily.
- Eating behavior is normalized. Lack of overeating, excessive appetite. Preference for a healthy and balanced diet.
- Improvement of cognitive functions: memory, speech, communication skills, ability to concentrate, ability to recognize objects (by sight, hearing, touch, ability to make purposeful movements).
- Improved quality of sleep and pleasant dreams.
- Assistance in self-discovery and hidden talents disclosure.
- Establishing balance and harmony within yourself.
Once you've experienced the beauty of at least 1 or 2 of the above items, there's a good chance and temptation to start taking bigger dosage and/or with greater frequency.
DO NOT start taking microdose daily!
DO NOT increase your dose during microdosing course!
"More" and "more often" will lead to a state of limbo (a state of "neither here nor there" - between the trip and sobriety) and will have a stimulating effect on your brain. As a result, you'll get the opposite effect - drop in energy, state of fatigue, decreased concentration, deterioration of cognitive functions.
Effects to look out for
- 1-1.5 hours after taking a microdose you may have soft stools. It often occurs if your diet is dominated by low-quality food (fast food, semi-finished products, canned foods, sausages, etc.). Don't worry, it's okay! In such way mushrooms purifies your body. This is a sign to pay attention to the quality of food in your diet.
- In the first month of taking microdoses, there is a possible "entry syndrome" that occurs 15-30 minutes after taking the microdose. Nausea, cold sensation, salivation, gastrointestinal cramps, dizziness, headache. These conditions are not observed in everyone and disappear quickly within 15-30 minutes.
- No dilation of the pupils is observed with microdoses. The person is fully functional without any changes or abnormalities.
- With microdosing there is no risk of a "bad trip" or strong psychedelic effects cannot be controlled. Microdosing is the ideal way to get a safe and comfortable introduction to the world of psychedelics.
When should microdoses be stopped?
- If "entry syndrome" (nausea, cold sensation, salivation, gastrointestinal cramps, dizziness, headache) lasts longer (1 hour or more) during the first 3-4 weeks of microdosing.
- If the "entry syndrome" does not disappear and is not reduced after 3-4 weeks of microdosing.
- Decrease of energy and general activity, drowsiness, weakness, dizziness, headache, increase or decrease of blood pressure during the days of taking microdoses.
- Decreased cognitive functions.
- Any negative manifestations of the body (physical and psycho-emotional).
Contraindications to microdosing
- Age under 18 years.
- Breastfeeding period.
- Mixing microdoses with alcohol and any drugs.
- Microdosing in parallel with the use of antidepressants, tranquilizers.
- Period of rehabilitation after injuries and surgery.
- Chronic heart problems (arrhythmia, tachycardia, brachycardia, sinus rhythm disorder, heart failure and others).
- During exacerbation of gastrointestinal diseases (ulcers, ulcerative colitis, acute gastritis, intestinal obstruction, intestinal adhesions, etc.).
- In states of acute stress or panic attack.
- Diagnosed mental illness.
- For fun. Without any preparation. Purposelessly.
Microdosing is a responsible process that should be approached with proper preparation and awareness. First of all, answer yourself the question «Why did I decide to start microdosing?
Stick to your individual dosage throughout the entire microdosing course and follow the schedule of intake. Listen to yourself and how you feel.
To make sure you are aware with basic microdosing principles pass this quiz
If you already have experience with microdosing or have questions - write in comments!